Skip to content ↓

Here are some FAQs to help you take your first steps…

Teaching and Learning

What is the difference between IB and OIB?

The IB programme is designed for children aged 3-19 and more than 3900 schools around the globe have chosen to teach it. The International Baccalaureate diploma (IB) is a school leaving certificate awarded for the successful completion of a two-year educational programme primarily aimed at students aged 16–19. The IB is an internationally accepted qualification for entry into higher education.

The OIB is a school leaving certificate combining the French baccalauréat with extra subjects taught and examined in a foreign language to the same standards at university–entrance level as their country of origin. To obtain the OIB, candidates must pass specific papers in language, literature and history & geography (or mathematics in the case of the Chinese OIB) in addition to their chosen programme of the French baccalauréat.

Click here for the 2021 UCAS OIB assessment.

Click here for more details on the IµB and OIB differences.

Does E31 offer lessons of English as a foreign language or English for beginners?

No. Candidates must already have an ability to speak and write English which will allow them to learn the language at mother-tongue level.

What teaching programme do you deliver?

The programme is based on the English National Curriculum and is adapted for the needs of bilingual pupils within the French school system.

At Primary school level you offer a choice between an integrated programme of English lessons or a programme of lessons once per week on Wednesday afternoon. Do you offer this choice at secondary level?

No. In order to be part of the English 31 scheme at secondary level, a pupil must be schooled full time at Collège & Lycée Victor Hugo.

Is the English 31 scheme a substitute for the French educational system?

Not at all. English 31 works in very close partnership with its host French schools. Apart from English and history Geography, all subjects are taught in French.

What examinations do English 31 pupils take?

At the end of Collège, English 31 pupils take the Brevet International. At the end of the first year of the Lycée they take IGCSE English Language (Cambridge International Examinations Board.) At the end of the final year of the Lycée, they take the International Option of the Baccalaureate.

What is the additional workload IN PRIMARY?

In integrated primary, the English 31 programme is merged into the French timetable. Students are also given English 31 homework, and this clearly represents additional workload for the student, requiring the full support of the students’ family.

In the weekly programme in primary, the Wednesday afternoons are outside the standard French timetable, but this means students are studying English on Wednesday afternoons instead of doing other, extra-curricular activities.

Is the OIB a recognised qualification?

Yes! The OIB is officially part of the standard Baccalaureate in the French educational system. Furthermore the OIB programme is practise in international schools throughout the world and is recognised by all major universities and higher educational institutions.

Who are the teachers?

Our teachers are all fully qualified practitioners with experience in teaching English and History within a bilingual context. Most are British, but we also have American and French colleagues. All are fluent in English and have been especially selected because of their commitment to the teaching of English in an Anglo-French context.

Does English 31 offer English language classes for adults?

No. English 31 specialises in providing English language, literature, history and geography lessons to children ages 6-18 who attend the French school system.


Is there an application test for entry to the British Section programme?

Yes. Applicants are required to take written tests and/or interviews in order to establish their ability in English.Click here to read more about it.

Do I have to live in Colomiers to be in the English 31 scheme?

Not necessarily.

Can pupils who do not speak French join the scheme?

After applicants get tested on their level of English, they have to arrange for their level of French to be tested by Enaf. Call This is arranged with Education Nationale.

Do you offer boarding?

No, we don’t have a boarding house.

Billing and Fees

Why doesn’t Airbus cover the full costs of the association?

Historically the association was established to provide English language education for British Airbus expatriates based in Toulouse. The links to Airbus remain strong and around half of the membership is directly employed by Airbus. However, for several years English 31 has been open to non-Airbus members, and for this reason these members need to pay a contribution to the staffing and running costs of the association.

How much of the costs go to front-line education?

Over 80% of the revenues of the association are directed to give front-line benefits to the students. With over 400 students in English 31, we now have 3 full time and 1 part-time employees managing the administration of the association.